Polyester Resin & Gel
Polyester Gelcoat is the very upper layer of the GRP Composite System. It has a number of functions.
- Provide a smooth, glossy finish to the composite, hiding the glass and resin structure
- Add water and chemical resistance to the composite
Unsaturated Polyester Resin is used along with glass fibre reinforcements to provide a composite. Its primary functions are to:
- Wet out glass reinforcements to provide strength
- Produce home made filler pastes with the addition of talc
- Cast solid polyester resin objects
Unsaturated Polyester Resins & Gelcoats are by far the most common used in GRP Manufacture but there are modified versions for tooling and casting.